2017 Put Pen to Paper
10th Annual Short Story Contest for Teens
Accepting stories from April 10th to July 10th
Do you have a knack for writing stories?
Then why not enter the Library's short story contest for teens?
Read the winning stories of 2016 and get inspired!
Prizes are awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers in two Grade divisions, Grades 6-8 and Grades 9-12. Winning entries are published on the Milton Public Library's website.
Prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers in two Grade divisions, Grades 6-8 and Grades 9-12.
- 1st place: $100 Indigo Gift Card
- 2nd place: $50 Indigo Gift Card
- 3rd place: $35 Indigo Gift Card
The winning entries are published on the Milton Public Library's website.
- One entry per person.
- Entrants must reside or attend school in Milton.
- Short stories must not exceed 1,500 words in length. Word count must be included on the entry form.
- Entries must be typed, single sided, double-spaced, using size 12 Times New Roman font. All pages must be numbered.
- Do not put your name anywhere on your work, as it will be judged anonymously.
- Entrants must submit their work for the appropriate grade category based on the grade they will be completing at the end of June 2017.
- All works submitted must be original. Illustrations will not be considered. Proper grammar, spelling and punctuation are a must.
- All entries must be submitted electronically via the online entry form.
- Entries that do not meet these requirements will be disqualified.
- The decision of the judges is final.
By entering this contest, you are consenting to have your work, name and photograph used for promotional purposes in local media and online.
Donít forget to proofread!
In addition to a great storyline, judges also look for proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Have a friend or family member read over your story for you to help catch any errors!
Submit your entry online.
If you require assistance submitting your entry, please contact the "Ask Us" Desk at either library location.
The Put Pen to Paper Reception will be held on the evening of August 21, 2017 at the Main Library from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.. Guest author to be announced. All participants, family and friends welcome.
Participants and their families gathered together for a reception on the evening of August 22, 2016. Stories were celebrated, winners were announced and guest author, Lena Coakley, spoke to those assembled.
The winning stories are available below in Adobe Acrobat format.
Winning Stories - Junior Division
- Answered by Hajir Butt
- Peace by Arisa Sajid
Shoe Fly by Maha Mir
Winning Stories - Senior Division
- Broken Galaxies by Mena Fouda
- The Others by Ty Sounthoung
- Counting Backwards by Tife Ademidun
Congratulations to our winners! View more photos from the reception.